Saturday, September 8, 2007

UK preparations

Today is going to be a record temperature in Boston - about 95 deg. F. I took Madeline to gymnastics then we grabbed burritos for lunch. Next stop was our local booklovers bookstore where they still maintain the old book store snobbishness of cataloging everything by publisher. However they have the best remainder section of any bookshop I've seen. Madeline agreed to come on the condition I pay for half of a webkinz (trendy animal soft toy). I ended up buying 4 guidebooks for Britain - three $5 remainder books on 2006 hotels, B&Bs and inns/pubs. Of course all proved pretty useless once I got them home and started reading. Even the coupons inside all expired in 2006. But one find was a book called The Rough Guide to England. It's up to date and written in a very down to earth, almost sarcastic, witty style. It gives honest opinions on all sorts of things and is over 1000 pages. I also dug out my old 1/400,000 Michelin maps (3 cover England and Wales) and several Ordinance Survey county maps. Detailed maps are a must when driving a car and allow you to find all sorts of off-the-beaten-track roads and places.
I've started thinking about places to visit. If we go to Cornwall, St Just-in-Roseland and the surrounding area is supposed to be beautiful. If we amble over to fair Yorkshire, James Herriot's town of Thirsk and the museum therein may be worth a visit, but getting to Yorkshire may be a bit of a stretch given other plans.
Just read an email from Bryce so I will go ahead and hire a car that is not too small given the two of us and luggage. I intend to travel very light and not to wash (clothes that is). One pair of shoes, two jeans should do it. Shorts? By October that shouldn't be necessary. The only extra bulky item would be my not-state-of-the-art clunker of a video camera - rather old and heavy. I just need to allow for a few small car parts if I manage to pick them up in Bournemouth. But after a quick look at my "needs' list, they'll take an insignificant amount of space. I think my wheeled duffle bag should do it.
Looking forward to visiting Merrie Olde England.

1 comment:

Bryce Little said...

Well, Bryce WILL be washing clothes. He only has three changes and usually washes in the bathroom sink every night - camp style. Might be a problem if we are on the move all the time... He also has a 1:250000 road map of Great Britain. He also bought a similar item on CDROM for his new Notebook - but it wont work!!! Vista might be the problem.

Nick's Aunt suggested we visit "Stourhead" (a National Trust Property in Wiltshire) also Westonburt Arboretum, North-East of Bath and in Cornwall the Lost Gardens of Heligan, near St. Austell.